Friday, 5 October 2012

Snoozin' chooks

The easiest way to catch 5 manky chooks so you can powder their mites is to sneak in while they sleep and grab em! They dont put up much of a fight and the other chooks barely 'buuckkk'. Then you grab them by the legs, hang them upside down (that wakes them up), tip powder on them and rub it in. Pop 'em back on the same perch. Easy peasy. On the way back to the homestead make sure not to step on the enormous green tree frog near the steps.
We bought some yummy grain mix for them and added to their crappy laying pellets. We then poured the mix into their new posh chook feeder. They picked out all the grain and left the pellets! Mum had a good grope of the Flossy the bossy during the powdering, and noted she was a bit skinny. So I think they are carbo loading to make up for it.
I am in the middle of making them new perches, as their existing wooden one is EVIL. Wooden perches are a no no as they harbour mites. I am making metals one from a metal book case I got for $5 at the tip (I have now discovered the tip shop - wheeeeeee!). I will need to drill holes on the metal (there's an adventure) and angle grind the mesh off the shelf part. Must now buy angle grinder. Yay!
This may test my handywoman skills but dont fret; today I proved myself in the bedroom. -cough- I mounted a metal pole in the walk in robe (see photo). This was no easy task. First I used a studd finder to find the hard wood behind the panels, then I cut the pole to length with a hacksaw, pre-drilled the holes (not easy in hard wood) then screwed in the end supports making sure to wax the screw threads!! Clever eh. All those tools and things.
The next de-infesting will be to worm the chooks (some of them have very grubby butts), and then poison their scaley leg mites by making the birdies drink Ivermectin, a pesticide thing.
Oh and we found their eggs! They were laying on the bamboo grove (it is very nice in there). Mum retrieved 9! Now we let them out later so they will lay in their pen. We had our first pen egg this morning, but I dropped it.